Tuesday, October 03, 2006

nature's embrace





Every time we stop to admire nature, we accept its embrace. We let nature hold us in a moment of innocent wonder. For a moment, we accept the majestic awe.

Daisuke and I seem to share a similar appreciation for nature. Especially skies. Maybe it is also because we "feel" things in a similar way. It is very nice just to watch a sky. Hold hands. Drink wine. Smoke a joint. There is simplicity of the moment. Everything is in appreciation. We watch clear night skies and marvel at the crispness of the lights on the buildings, the blackness of the sky, and the twinkle of the stars. (There is a story involving a clear night sky at a bed and breakfast in Niagara on the Lake and two high boys staring up at the sky wondering why the stars were turning on and off, but that can be for another day.)

We watch storm clouds roll in and get excited with the anticipation of thunder and lightening – and the RAIN. Clear brilliant spectrum blue cloudless days. Big fluffy cotton billow clouds drifting by. We comment on all skies it would seem. I like to come up with ways of describing skies, Epic, Biblical, Menacing, Gentle, Playful, Majestic; tonight’s sky was Glorious.

I was up on the deck taking a picture of it and was going downstairs to text message Daisuke. When I got downstairs, I found a text message from him telling me, “the sky is so nice, it looks like a painting.” Being in the same moment is nice.

There is something very healing and calming when that moment is with a sky. I guess I am learning the true meaning of the Buddhist “now”. I am calmed when I stop to watch a sky. For a brief moment, I stop competing with nature and allow it to be.

“I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.” (E.B. White – 1956)

No comments: